Dirleton and Yellowcraig Circular
|Start and finish:||Yellowcraig Car Park|
|Distance:||6km / 4miles|
|Time:||1½ – 2 hours|
|Terrain:||Grassy paths and tracks, sandy beach, road.|
|Directions:||From the car park follow the path into the wood, next to the bicycle stands, and continue until you almost reach the boundary wall of the plantation. Look out for the steps to the top of Yellow Craig, ascend the steps to take in the panoramic views of the coast. Descend and follow the path adjacent to the wall towards the coast. Follow the path in front of the toilet block and continue to the main path to the beach. The walk can be shortened here by turning left to head back to the car park. To continue on the walk turn right along south side of the wood just before the interpretation panel by the fence. Follow the track by the side of the wood and after approximately 500m leave this to follow a field track to Dirleton village. Take time to enjoy the charming setting of the village, church and castle. Turn left and follow the signs for Yellowcraig back to the car park. Enjoy the beautiful views of Fidra and the coastline from the beach.|
|Public transport:||Regular bus service to Dirleton on the Edinburgh – North Berwick coastal route.|
|Local services:||Dirleton has a variety of eating places including restaurants, coffee shops and ice cream parlour.
Dirleton and Yellowcraig Circular - PDF download
points of interest
Spot wildlife in the woods next to the seashore.
Part of an ancient volcano that erupted in Carboniferous times, over 340 million years ago. There are fine views of the coast, east and west, from the summit.
Fidra Island and lighthouse
The Cistercian Nuns of North Berwick had a hermitage on the island from 1154. The lighthouse dates from 1885 and was the first to be automated in Scotland in 1970.
Examples of fine architecture are to be found in the pretty conservation village of Dirleton.
Dirleton Auld Kirk
The 16th century Kirk houses the beautiful 'Archerfield window', a stained-glass depiction of wildlife found in the local area.
Dating from 1220, and substantially re-built in the 15th century, Direlton Castle is an impressive castle with a special events programme and the world’s longest herbaceous border.