Musselburgh and Fisherrow Circular
|Start and finish:||Fisherrow Harbour|
|Distance:||8km / 5miles|
|Time:||2 – 2½ hours|
|Terrain:||Mostly well-surfaced paths and pavements, some steps with one section on a farm track.|
|Directions:||From Fisherrow Harbour follow the signposts for the John Muir Way along the promenade and around the west side of the mouth of the River Esk. Cross the first bridge and continue straight ahead along James Street, turning right at Mill Hill, then left at Kerr’s Wynd to join the High Street. Cross at the pedestrian crossing and continue up Newbigging; turn right at Inveresk Road, then almost immediately turn left up Inveresk Brae. Enter Lewisvale Park on the left shortly after. After passing the bandstand look out for a black signpost on the right. Ascend the steps here following sign for the cricket pitches and follow the path around the fields. Exit the park to come out on Double Dykes. Cross over Inveresk Village Road, turn left then right to enter Wedderburn Terrace.
A path at the end of the street leads to the River Esk. Once at the riverside turn right heading back into Musselburgh. Leave the path at Eskmills Park and cross Mall Avenue to follow the river downstream. Cross the Esk by the Roman Bridge and continue along Market Street until North High Street is reached; use the crossing to reach the starting point at Fisherrow Harbour.
|Public transport:||There are regular bus and rail services to Musselburgh.|
|Local services:||Musselburgh is well served with shops and restaurants, cafes and bars.
points of interest
A late medieval harbour with possible Roman origins. Views to Edinburgh and Fife.
Habitat and roosting area for waders, such as oystercatchers and other birds including mute swans.
Its prominent clock was a gift to the people of Musselburgh from the Dutch States in 1496.
An Edwardian public park dating from 1911.
A delightful conservation village. Location of the National Trust for Scotland’s Inveresk Lodge Garden.
A prominent fort between 142 and 163AD.
Dating from the 16th century, it is reputed to be built over a Roman foundation.