The coastal village of Longniddry is 12miles (19km) east of Edinburgh. People have lived here for over 5000 years. In the time of the Goddodin tribe who spoke a form of Welsh, it was called Llan Newydd Tref ‘church of the new settlement’. Over the years the name changed until in the 18th century anglicisers replaced the too Scots ‘Lang’ with ‘Long’ and Longniddry it became.
The 18th century Gosford House, seat of the Earl of Wemyss and March, sits in 5,000 acres of land to the east of the village. The house is a magnificent neo-classical mansion and one of the last great architectural commissions of the renowned architect, Robert Adam. It houses a grand three story marble hall which was built in 1891 by William Young for the 10th Earl of Wemyss with a magnificent double staircase that leads to a picture gallery. The house suffered damage in WWII when it was used by the army however most of the artefacts and art survived and there has been much conservation work. It is a popular film location and stars in such blockbusters as the hit TV series Outlander.
The Scottish Women’s Rural Institute was founded in Longniddry in 1917 by Catherine Hogg Blair. 37 women joined then. Today ‘the Rural’ has over 15,000 members!
Longniddry has not one but three beaches or ‘bents’; stretches of long golden sand backed by grassy dunes. And nearby is Seton Sands with a mix of sand and rock pools right opposite a holiday park making it a favourite with families.
Situated on Scotland’s Golf Coast, Longniddry Golf Club which dates from 1921 is the closest coastal course to Edinburgh. It has spectacular sea views and an intriguing mix of woodland and links. Nearby are Muirfield, Gullane and Craigielaw golf courses.