Pencaitland is 12miles (19km) south-east of Edinburgh and 5miles (8km) south-west of Haddington.
The origins of the village date back to the 12th century when the parish church was first established. In 1505 Pencaitland was made a burgh of barony which allowed it certain rights and privileges including a twice-yearly fair, and from 1695 a yearly mercat (market). The village is divided in two by the Tyne Water which is crossed by a 16th century three-arched bridge.
Today, Pencaitland is a prosperous and desirable location for those who want a scenic rural location, close to major centres.
Winton Castle was built following a grant of land by David I to Phillip de Sayton in 1150. Phillip’s grandson married the sister of King Robert ‘The Bruce’ of Scotland. In 1544 Henry VIII had Winton burnt as part of the ‘Rough Wooing’ in an effort to secure the marriage of Mary Queen of Scots to his son. Mary Seton was later her Lady-in-Waiting.
At the Rising of 1715, the Earl of Winton backed the Jacobites and was taken to the Tower of London. In the 2nd Jacobite Rising in 1745, Winton was requisitioned by Bonnie Prince Charlie whose army camped on the Estate.
The Hamilton Nisbets bought the Castle and Estate in 1779 and furnished it with pieces from Europe and the Turkish Empire.
Today Winton is the family home of Sir Francis and Lady Ogilvy. The castle is a sought after venue for business events, private parties, product launches and weddings.
This quiet village has seen some giants of popular music in recent times who have recorded at Castlesound Studios which is in the old Victorian Primary School. Orange Juice, Simple Minds, Runrig, and REM are just a few that you might recognise!
Pencaitland is surrounded by fertile farmland and fresh pure water from the Lammermuir Hills so it is no surprise that just outside the village you will find Glenkinchie Distillery; the lowland home of Johnnie Walker Scotch Whisky and producer of The Edinburgh Malt. There has been a distillery here since 1837.