Musselburgh is a historic market town known as 'The Honest Toun' and famed for golf and its racecourse.
Musselburgh was first settled by the Romans in the years following their invasion of Scotland in AD80. They built a fort a little inland from the mouth of the River Esk and bridged the river here. In doing so they established the line of the main eastern approach to Scotland's capital for most of the next 2,000 years.
Musselburgh is the oldest town in Scotland and has the oldest golf course in the world; Musselburgh Links dating from 1672. The Links, which is a former venue of golf's Open Championship, is the oldest continuously played golf course in the world. What’s more, the golf course is located in the middle of Musselburgh Racecourse!
The name Musselburgh is Old English in origin with mussel referring to the extensive shellfish beds which line the shore on the Firth of Forth, and burgh derived from the Old English for 'town'. The town motto "Honesty" dates back to 1332, when the Regent of Scotland, Randolph, Earl of Moray, died in the burgh. His successor offered to reward the people for their loyalty but they declined, saying they were only doing their duty. The new regent, the Earl of Mar, was impressed and said they were a set of honest men, hence 'The Honest Toun'.
Musselburgh is the largest town in East Lothian and is next door to Edinburgh. It has a long High Street with a mixture of both local and well-known stores.