The church was founded in Dunglass in the 1400s by the Home Family. In 1444, Sir Alexander Home sought to elevate it to collegiate status and by 1451, the pope confirmed this status. The church was maintained by a college of priests, who were to offer up perpetual prayers on behalf of Sir Alexander and Lady Home, along with their family.
The private chapel features fine carved stonework, especially the three-seated sedilia, where the priests sat during Mass.
In medieval times, Dunglass was an important place; the main road between Scotland and England passed nearby. Close by stood the Homes’ stronghold of Dunglass Castle, which has not survived. There was also a small market town which has vanished.